This page is currently under construction
Any content is draft and is subject to change
Insert something on age (0-25) and responsibility e.g. LA resident or school
Statutory guidance for organisations that work with and provide support to children and young people who have special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) defines these children as:
• A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.
• A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she: has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions .
Every term schools report to the Department for Education (DfE) about any children who have SEND; they say what sort of needs the children have. SEND is categorised into four levels of learning difficulties:
- moderate learning difficulties
- severe learning difficulties
- profound and multiple learning difficulties
- specific difficulties not involving global limitation of intellectual functioning (like dyslexia).
There are approximately xxx children of school age in Wakefield, around a third of these children (32.4%) have been identified as having a learning disability. This is lower than national figure and the figures reported in most other similar local authorities.
The proportion of children identified as having severe learning difficulties is higher in Wakefield, at around 5%; higher than the national average (3.7%) and the figures reported in most other similar local authorities.
Insert prime need information – breakdown by need, setting (early years, school aged etc) and trend?
Insert information on assessment requests, assessments agreed, EHCPs issued – breakdown by need, setting, trend?
Geographical variation (ward/deprivation)
- Assessment requests/agreed/EHCPs issued/cease or discontinued
- % in each category – no sen, sen support, statutory assessment, EHCP
- Prime need
EHCPs issued – % in 20 wks
Annual reviews – % held by due date
Cease or discontinued?
Information and Publications
References to core documents e.g. guidance